Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day Two....

The boys spent all day at a local lumber mill that let them use their tools, preparing the wood for the tables. They basically started with logs and planed, cut, and sanded wood for 4 tables and 20 chairs. Guess they had quite the experience. They were definitely tired and hungry at the end of the day, as the building was not air conditioned and they worked through lunch.

Us girls played with babies again all day. We now feel comfortable enough to change diapers when they need it, and some also got to bathe the babies. As you can see in the photo below, the nannies do it on their lap and much quicker than us!


Some of the kids were wearing clothing that we donated...

Sleeping beauty...

We get many visitors throughout our day. Usually a relative of someone from the orphanage or hotel who want their teenager to hang out with us to practice their english. We never know who is going to show up at dinner, on our bus, or at the orphanage. This young lady was at the orphanage for the first time, because her uncle told her to come.

In China, it's never too early to potty train. They sit them all down, line them up, and place bowls underneath...

This is Anna's special girl from Philip Hayden in Beijing. Anna asked me to post this, as this little girl is not expected to live long. Anna had the pleasure of bringing some joy to this sweet girl, and it looks like Anna got lots too~

This evening was spent by most doing some local shopping, except two of the guys on the team headed back to the orphanage to finish a repair job on a broken door. The fix-it list seems to be getting longer....hopefully we have enough time to fulfill their wishes.

I had the interesting experience today of visiting the orphanage doctor. I got a mosquito bite on my ankle a couple nights ago that has become quite swollen and red. She put some ointment on it and sent the medication with me to use the next couple of days. One of the nannies told our guide that she would bring some aloe tomorrow. I'm thinking bottle of aloe, but not 15 minutes later, someone walked in with two aloe leaves! I love the service and thoughtfulness in China:) Please keep my foot in your thoughts, as it is doing better now, but swells up when I'm on my feet and in the humidity.

3 comments:

Julie R. said...

I am lovin' these stories!!! Love the aloe -- and I can just imagine how they are so giving and tending to your needs. I love their sweet hearts. The tables and chairs are so amazing --- incredible!!! It is fabulous that the orphanage can be helped with these construction and fix-it type things. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers as you love on this precious city of Heng Feng. Please give "Charlie", the only little boy, a hug and kiss from his "aunt" in Tennessee. It is such a joy to see their smiling faces again. May God richly bless each of you!
Martha

Anonymous said...

I should not be looking at these pictures! I am ready to take any of them (or all of them) home!! Sounds like a great trip and that you are doing so much for the children. Our plans have changed and we won't be able to get to WA this summer. Maybe next summer when we can spend our whole visit in the PNW. It was just getting to be too much "on the go" for Lydia (and for me). We miss you all!

Love, Andrea