Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chaoyang....



Today we are happier to be in a less humid climate! Our flight to Chaoyang was uneventful, and we were checked in to our hotel by 10:30. We did some quick shopping, ate lunch, and met the orphanage director in the lobby at 1:00. We were surprised when he said we could come to the orphanage for a quick visit, as we weren't scheduled to be there until tomorrow. We were warmly greeted by some familiar faces, and it was a great feeling that so many of the kids remembered us. They have moved into a new building, so we spent time familiarizing ourselves with the new layout and room assignments. Of course, I scooped up a one month old baby to carry around as I said my "hellos" to the kids and nannies. Her cleft/lip palate made me think of Kaia, so I just couldn't resist. I am so disappointed that I haven't figured out how to post photos here, but I am still working on it.





The evening was spent getting tomorrow's craft ready, then walking around the city. It was late, so we missed the big crowd at the pagoda, so we will try again another night. We did hand out glow-in-the dark bracelets, which was a hit with the kids we came across (and some teens too!).

I hate to end the post on a downer again, but I do have a request. There was a dying mother who brought her seven year old to the orphanage, as she has no one to help her. She is staying in a room there, is quite sickly looking, and is in a lot of pain. Please remember her as she comes to your mind today. We told her that we would check on her again tomorrow, and be thinking of her. Not a situation that any mother should have to be in.

Time to rest up for tomorrow's full day, then church in the evening. Oh yeah, go Team USA (not us, but the World Cup game today)!

No comments: