Sunday, June 5, 2016

MUA (no, not MMA)...

So you've been wondering where I've been? Or maybe you haven't missed me. Regardless, I thought I'd take the time to excuse explain my absence.

Let me remind you of this post on my Frozen Capsulitis diagnosis back in January, otherwise known as "Frozen Shoulder." Between then and April, I did 34 sessions of physical therapy, only to gain a little more motion, not much more sleep, and rare moments without pain. I would have to say the lack of sleep has been the worst of it all. This year's sixth grade students have probably gone home and complained what a grump Mrs. C is, or how forgetful she is, including my own two students!

To sum it up, this is what frozen shoulder has done to me. Note, this is a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight; not for the weary to watch. If you don't want to watch it, just look at the still picture and imagine the pain. I am the one who doesn't fair so well...



But what I actually experienced last week was not MMA, but MUA, Manipulation Under Anesthesia. And to see how easy it is to get the two pains confused, I have a video for it too. Actually I was going to show a more graphic one, but I found this one from the TV show The Doctors that explains the entire process I have gone through quite accurately. My story is basically hers, in that it has been a long road and very painful.  Not sure if she escaped the surgery, but I did not. I did not do the arthroscopic part that the video refers to, just the manipulation.


So for the past few days I have been in intensive physical therapy so that the shoulder does not refreeze. After these next two sessions, I will go back to one a week for a period of time. I am still in a lot of pain and experiencing sleepless nights right now, but hopeful that I am on the mend. My movement is better than before surgery, but I have to build strength back up. With that, I am hoping the pain resides.

So there you have it. I have been living a life of exhaustion, falling asleep on the couch most afternoons when I come home from work, then in bed by 8:30ish.  Thus, no energy to blog, as I have tried to give it all to my family. Life has gone on; spring break, birthdays, Mother's Day, regional gymnastics. They were great times, but I just didn't have it in me to put out the extra effort to document it. So hopefully you see me posting here more frequently again, because that means I am moving forward. If not, you know why...

And a huge shout out to my husband. He has really picked up the slack around the house. Thanks babe for sticking to "For better, for worse, for sickness and in health!" I love you.

No comments: