Monday, May 16, 2011

Mother's Day Traditions....

I grew up with many family traditions, and absolutely love to pass them down to my own children, as well as create new ones. Over the past 19 Mother's Days, I can say there are traditions that I can always count on my family contributing to.

First the day begins with breakfast in bed. I had two of the cutest little waitresses you ever have seen taking my order! This year it was blueberry waffles, washed down by some delicious coffee and cream.  After church as a family (one was late, but I won't mention which one), it's out to lunch we go. Yep, more food. This year it was brunch. 

Mother's Day gifts are quite often my favorite of the year, because typically some of them are handmade. I was not disappointed this year when I opened the special towels each girl handpainted for me.  I loved the cards (three created by Kaia alone) and sweet words they wrote to  me.  An extra special gift this year was getting my grandma's wedding ring sized to fit my finger, as well as having a missing sapphire replaced. Priceless!



This is where the tradition was a bit off this year. Usually we go for a family hike, but poor Kellen was under the weather, so we all stayed home. However, the weather did cooperate enough for me to get some yardwork out of all of them. The yard was mowed, weeds pulled, and some flowers planted in the window box. Jaelyn and Kaia had much fun "saving" as many snails and sow bugs that they could find, as well as taking as many pictures as they could with my camera. I'll save you the shots of our recycling bin and my rear end, but here is the home they made this little guy....

The only regret I have of the day is that we did not get any photos of me with all the kids. Maybe the boys can teach me to photoshop some:)

Later that night, as I crawled into bed and fluffed up my pillow, I was pleasantly surprised to find an envelope beneath. There lied a simple note from my 16 year old that touched my heart so. Is it too much to wish this is the beginning of another Mother's Day tradition???

No comments: