Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lucky Woman...

Yep, I have to be one of the luckiest women in the world. I live on a beautiful island, and was chosen by God to mother four wonderful children. Here's how we celebrated Mother's Day...

After attending church as a family, the kids gave me some great gifts. Kaia made me a candle (as she pointed out, purple, my favorite color). Jaelyn painted me a beautiful pink silk scarf. The boys gave me some much needed new sunglasses, but only after trying to fool me with one of Jaelyn's pairs (but I think they looked quite stylish)!

We then headed to Ebey's Landing where we hiked the bluff. We saw good friends at the top of the bluff that Josh spends a lot of time with, so we hiked with them for awhile. They run the Pacific Rim Institute for Environmental Stewardship, so having Robert with us was like having our own personal botanist narrating our hike. It was beautiful, as well as educational!


The girls hugged a tree hundreds of years old, but Josh saw it as an opportunity to climb! Believe it or not, the branch Josh is standing on is alive, and grows out sideways, near the ground.

The view from above was breathtaking!


The way down....Mike and Kaia took the switchback (tiny dots in the distance)

while Josh and Luke made their own way straight down on their derriere (only after stopping for a pose)! I didn't get a photo of them sliding down, but I did get a shot of their skid marks from the beach (hint: the marks coming straight over the switchbacks)! You can see how high up the bluff was.


On the beach time was spent skipping rocks, finding shells, wetting feet, exploring, and contemplating world peace.




I also want to wish a Happy Mother's Day to the two wonderful mom's in my life, my mom and my mother-in-law. We love you both lots, and we wouldn't be here without either of you:)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Ebey's Landing is a perfect way to spend a Sunday!