Sunday, June 26, 2011

Forward Motion...

Angela and Sa
So much happened today that I want to share. It was an exciting time at the orphanage, and I can only hope that everyone reading this can share my enthusiasm through my words and photos (although in reading back on my earlier post, I see lots of errors due to my lack of sleep!).

As we loaded the bus for the orphanage, we were greeted by Sa, a local girl we had met at the airport the day before. When we told her what we were there for, she told us she would like to join us, to which we eagerly encouraged her to do.  We love to involve the locals, and have had some join us every trip. Her english was great, and it was nice to see her join right in, interacting with the kids.

giving Min Yer a manicure/pedicure. Her favorite color is
purple, like mine!

Yung Yung playing with Lambchop (most of the kids were scared of it!)


Britta setting up the adaptive work center










The children were anxiously awaiting our arrival. After receiving the go ahead by the nannies, Britta, our physical therapist, got busy inventorying the physical therapy supplies that the orphanage already had but had no idea how to use. Some team members cleaned the dusty items and/or pieced some together, while Britta measured and assessed children for various pieces of equipment. By the end of the day she had a child in a wheelchair we had never seen out of bed before, a blind, crib-bound girl up and using a walker, and an adult sized girl standing, coloring while velcro straps held her upright at a work center. Needless to say, this was extremely exciting for us all to see, and we are only on day two!

As I was hanging out on the second floor right before lunch, I saw what I thought to be a familiar face walk by me. I couldn't pull up a name, as it was from a few years back, so I asked her what her name was. She replied with Feng Hua. I probably frightened the poor girl when I excitedly responded with "I know you, Flower!" Feng Hua was one of the older children we worked with at the orphanage the first two years we were here. When we inquired about her last year they told us she was attending a school for blind children. Since she graduated, she is back for the summer, and will be attending massage school in another province in the fall.  She said she remembered us from before. It is so rewarding to see her doing well.
Feng Hua "Flower"
Who knew Wu Jia Wei played the piano
The afternoon consisted of lots of playtime, including walks in the drizzle, and some positive responses from a couple children who usually don't show much emotion.  It's amazing what a little love can do to make an orphan, or anyone else for that matter, feel better.
John and Cha Cha taking a walk

Putting smiles on both our faces!

Both smiled like this all afternoon!

Love this photo of Courtney and the blind girl. She was
caressing Courtney so sweetly.

1 comment:

carolrhodes said...

What ekse is ther to say except,WOW