Monday, July 5, 2010

Still Processing....

Thankfully our trip home was uneventful, other than landing 1/2 hour early, only to be told customs wasn't open that early (5 am), so they wouldn't allow us off the plane. Oh well, after 10 1/2 hours, what's 30 more minutes?

My children were all awake (quite a feat for the teenagers) and anxiously awaiting my arrival at the front door on Saturday (Ground Hog day....we landed almost four hours before we left). It felt so good to be home and on the receiving end of so many hugs! My husband was even making blueberry pancakes, something I had been fantasizing about on the flight home, but since I already had three breakfasts, I saved them for lunch:)

However, coming home and integrating back into "normal" life is quite the process. I bawled my eyes out at church yesterday, and every lyric or word our pastor spoke would take me back to China. My mind kept wandering back to what the kids were doing at that moment....did they miss us? Were the nannies still taking the non-ambulatory kids out of their cribs? Did all the toys get put back into storage?

Yesterday we celebrated our countries Independence, which I so appreciate, but part of my heart was left back in China (again). It didn't quite feel right walking around the carnival and watching the fireworks with my family, while wondering if Yung Yung's mother was still alive. The really difficult part is that most likely I will not have answers to most of these questions that are bouncing around in my brain. Maybe I will feel better after adjusting to the right time zone, but I hope not. I don't want to forget, because the nannies, children, and China need our prayers...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Toni,

I can't imagine how that must have felt. I saw the same sentiments written all over Micah's face. I long for the day I can be back in China and I know how odd that sounds to so many people. I see their faces when I say it and think to myself that they just cannot understand.

Praying for you as you process your homecoming.

Blessings, Lisa