Friday, July 2, 2010

Quick stop in Beijing and then coming home

Well we arrived in Beijing safely, but not uneventfully! The same thing happened to us this year as did two years ago when we were leaving the Chaoyang airport. Seems the security people have way too much time on their hands, so they check our bags thoroughly. Can you see me in the background of the photo below? They made me open my suitcase and remove my hairspray from my checked bag. Their explanation for this request is the tiny flammable symbol on the back of the can. Funny how the US and Beijing didn't care, but for some reason Chaoyang did. One of our van drivers was very eager to take the products home. His head was shaven, so must be a gift for his wife! Tracie got in trouble for snapping this photo of me...silly Americans!


We decided to eat a quick lunch at the airport so we could spend more time shopping. Funny thing is I don't even eat McDonalds at home, but a burger sure did taste great. Just couldn't resist a photo opportunity with the lucky employee who got to wear this outfit.


The rest of the afternoon was spent shopping, and unless you've been here you just can't understand it. Although it doesn't seem quite as high pressure as it was two years ago, right before the Olympics, it is pretty crazy. I haggled with the gal in the picture for two dresses for my girls. She told me that she was making "no profit" but I told her she loved me anyway. She said she did love me, and agreed to a photo.


We just returned from a walk to Tiananmen Square, and some of us decided to take a motorized rickshaw back to the hotel. That was quite the experience, but the breeze cooled us down in the humidity. Now it is after 10:00 and we have to leave by 5 am.


Two groups of people leave early in the morning and one in the afternoon. Our last team member, Ying, is staying in China and catching the train to visit friends. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers over this trip. It really has been amazing, and lots of support from friends and family makes it all happen.

No comments: