Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I Can See Clearly Now....

Remember the song from the 70's? Or those of you too young may remember this more recent one. Well this song pretty much sums it up for me since I had LASIK surgery 1.5 weeks ago!

Yep, on August 2nd I had LASIK surgery and no longer need to wear contacts or glasses! When I went down for my pre-op appointment, they recommended I just have my right eye done. My left eye vision was not nearly as poor as my right, and I hate when people preface the conversation with the doctor said "at your age,"  patients usually come out of the surgery needing reading glasses.  By doing LASIK strictly on my right, this would allow my left eye to be dominant for reading, and the right for distance. And voila, the doc was right, I need no glasses at all!  Because of only doing the one, my distance vision is not as sharp as it could be, but I'm not complaining. When I eventually need reading glasses, as most people do, I can choose to have the surgery done on my left eye too.

The down side? Can't think of any!  Here are my top five reasons why I recommend getting the surgery done:

1.     NO CONTACTS OR GLASSES!

2.     Absolutely pain free surgery.

3.     Quick recovery.  My eye felt a little scratchy the first day, but woke up the next morning not feeling anything different at all.

4.     I can sleep in the car without my contacts drying out, swim next week with the girls on vacation, while being able to see, not having glasses slide down my sweaty nose in the smog of China, etc.

5.     I got to wear these cool glasses to bed for 7 nights, or at least I was supposed to...

Following the procedure you are to sleep for six hours (with the help of a sedative). Mike snapped this of me dozing on the drive home.  You are to wear these glasses when sleeping so that you don't accidentally hit or rub your eye while you are asleep.  I let my pride get in the way and only wore them the first two.  After that I was a counselor at our high school church camp (more on that later), so chose not to be seen in them! But now I am posting it on the Internet for the world to see...Mike had me save them for him to wear when mountain biking!

For part of the pre-op, they do a DNA swab for macular degeneration, which my grandfather has. I was happy to learn that my results were "normal" for that screening. On the downside, I was told that my eyes have a yellowish tint, which is an early sign of cataracts.  Since I am on the young side for that, they recommend I always wear good UV glasses while outside.  No, not the pair above! It was a good excuse for me to buy a good pair though. Nothing but the clearance rack best at Sunglass Hut for me!

No comments: