Sunday, September 18, 2011

Invisible Illness Week...

In case you didn't know (like I didn't), today wraps up Invisible Illness Week. What, you haven't celebrated it yet? Well then let me enlighten you. Before I go any further, let me credit Kerri at Six Until Me for the source of this meme.

30 Things About My Invisible Illness: 2011

1. The illness I live with is: type 1 diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:  1992
3. But I had symptoms since: Just a few weeks before my diagnosis in May that year
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Carrying a big enough purse to haul all my diabetes related "stuff," like my glucose monitor, extra pump batteries, glucose tablets, snacks, etc. Also, losing my spontaneity in being able to go anywhere without it.
5. Most people assume: that because I'm a PE teacher and coach, I wouldn't have such a disease. Another assumption is that because I wear a pump and a glucose monitor, then I don't have to poke my finger to test my blood sugar, and things sort of self-monitor themselves.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: not being able to eat cereal, which I love! Cereal in the morning skyrockets my blood sugar!
7. My favorite medical TV show is: I Didn't Know I was Pregnant on TLC. It's outrageous; I mean, how in the world can you not know that???!!!
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: Definitely my insulin pump!
9. The hardest part about nights are: It doesn't happen very often since wearing my Dexcom, but waking up in the middle night with the chills, soaked in sweat, is the worst feeling.
10. Each day I take 1 pill & one vitamin D with calcium.  Who knew Hypothyroidism and Type I diabetes went hand in hand? The vitamin is because I am now over 40:) Oh yeah, I infuse insulin 24/7. 
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have been annoyed over the years with people suggesting various treatments for my diabetes. Excuse me, but if there was a cure by now, I think the rest of us would know about it!
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:  Neither, but I don't see that option. Guess it would be invisible, then I can make the choice when and to whom I want to share it with.
13. Regarding working and career:  I've been able to talk a lot about diabetes with my students, and love teaching about living a healthy lifestyle.
14. People would be surprised to know: there is no such thing as "being in good control" of your blood sugars. It's a minute to minute thing.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: don't really have a good answer for this one, as I pretty much accepted it from the beginning.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: nothing here either, although in the beginning I did hear people mention "not being able to have babies." I love proving people wrong anyhow.
17. The commercials about my illness: the ones about the "pain free" way to check your blood sugar crack me up. After nineteen years of poking my fingers, they are so calloused that I don't feel a thing!
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: shopping for clothing when I don't have to worry about whether or not I can accessorize it with my pump
19. It was really hard to have to give up: ... smoking (just kidding, never did!)
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: reading food labels;-)
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: go mountain climbing with my husband, without having to worry about my blood sugars dropping
22. My illness has taught me:  that's an easy one...self-discipline
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: asking/telling me that I "can't eat something." Funny how they know me better than I do...
24. But I love it when people: ask me sincere questions about diabetes
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: that they aren't alone, and a life of moderation is key
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: I am actually healthier than almost anyone I know. Know what you can and cannot control. This is key.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: keeping the kids out of my room:)
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I don't usually blog about my diabetes, not because I hide it, but it's just a part of my life that I think would bore people to read about. Some of you reading this may not have even know I had it. I guess that's why I found the reference to it being an "invisible illness"intriguing.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: like you know a little more about me now, and since you have read to the bottom, you must be interested. Questions, ask away...

No comments: